Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Separate Ways

So I am in Sardinia without Kristine. No, she did not "pull an Alyson;" if anything, I did. We got to the airport yesterday and were told that, despite the fact that the police officers assured us that Kaje could fly with the photocopy of her passport and the police report, it is "against Ryanair rules." It was really awful. We had only a few minutes to decide whether I would take the flight without her and it was a really shitty decision. Kris said that she didnt want me to miss anything that I really wanted to see (Sardinia is Top 5 for me) but more than that, I was concerned about the extra expense of missing the flight. Not only is there a "missed flight fee" (dont think that "missed" is the appropriate word when they wont let you on a flight for something entirely beyond your control) of 75£ (about $170), but also the lost cost of the two flights and the cost of getting to Italy by train. Since I barely have enough money for this trip in the first place, the idea of at least $300 in extra expenses was upsetting. But then, I didnt want to leave Kris to take the train alone...Textbook definition of a dilemma, I believe.

So after some tears in the airport, we decided that I would go while Kaje heads to Nice to wait out her temporary passport, and we will meet up in Italy in one week. After the decision was made, the tears dried up and Kris was all business. She reminded me of me three years ago after I was left in an airport. Actually maybe that isnt true, because she was way more confident than I was. I said before I left, "You can do this," and she said, "I know I can." It was pretty cool to see.

So although I knew that there was a possibility of us splitting up for a few days in the course of this trip, it feels really strange. I am having to try out my solo traveller legs again, and it feels wrong. So far, Sardinia is crap. There is honestly not a single person around--in my hostel or on the streets--and the beach right by us has had some sort of flood, so it isnt very pleasant. I know there is beautiful Sardinia out there, because I spent all summer at work google-imaging it; I just need to go out and find it...Alone, which isnt going to be the same.

Love,
Chelsea

No comments: