Thursday, September 07, 2006

Novelty bars, trash cans, and burning hair

So that last blog entry was dated wrong, obviously...I don´t know how to change it.

So now Kaje (Kristine for those of you who have never heard me call her that) and I are in Porto, Portugal after a really hectic couple days. The night of our last full day in London (two days ago--the day I wrote that last entry) was pretty crazy. We met three guys from Ontario in our hotel bar and hung out with them and their two friends from Barcelona. It was cheap (well, cheap for London) beer night, so they drank lots and lots of beer and I drank lots of G&T and we ended up going to Cheers, a novelty bar based on the TV show. Seriously, don´t ask me why in a city of traditional British pubs, we ended up at one very, very loosely based on an American sit-com, but we did...This Cheers turns into a full-on techno-playing disco at 10:30 on Tuesday nights though, so even with all the pictures of Norm and Cliff and Cheers quotes on the walls, it didn´t really accomplish the effect it was going for. Anyway, the craziest thing that happened was that we leaned in to take a picture of the five of us in the booth and my hair dipped into a candle and started on fire. I didn´t actually notice but this guy Matt had to put it out with his hand and Kris says there was actual flame. It was a very expensive and very debauched night, I lost a chunk of hair (not noticeable unless you´re looking for it) and I was very, very sick the following day. As in, I threw up in various trash cans around the city in broad daylight as well as over the railing into the Thames River. Can´t say I have ever done that before. It was an awful, awful day and Kaje and I have both agreed to dial it down a bit...for now.

Last night some girls from Germany arrived in the middle of the night and apparently I sleepwalked to their side of the room and, according to Kaje, tried to help them put their sheets on their bed. I don´t know if I believe her though because when I asked these girls if that were true, they looked really confused. But Kaje thinks that´s because they don´t know what sleep-walking is.

So we had a very mellow and introspective day today, sitting by the river in Porto and wandering around. Porto is pretty, but not really an ideal spot for young, cheap tourists...so we´re going to head to Lisbon tomorrow.

I´ll post some pictures really soon. The computer I´m on right now is archaic and I think it would take years.

Love,
Chelsea

No comments: