Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Not that I'm homesick, but...***

...I would give my left arm right about now for the following things:
1) a scorchingly hot shower. With pressure. In which I don't feel compelled to wear flip flops. That has walls and is not in the immediate vicinity of the toilet.
2) A bed. With some give. With little to no chance of a bed bug infestation. With sheets with no questionable spots, stains, etc. In a room outside of which there are no:
a) roosters (you think that our little farmyard friends cockle-doodle-doo just once at sunrise? Wrong. They start at about 4:00 am and keep going for hours.
b) monks beating drums, chanting, or singing. You know I love the monks--I really do, probably more than is appropriate--but for the love of god (Buddha, I guess), can't you collect your food at 9:00am???
3) Some clothes that are not the clothes in my (Kristin's) pack at present. A whole new wardrobe, actually, would be nice. I would buy some stuff, but this whole Asian "one size fits all" thing doesn't really work for "Amazons" like me.
4) Some nachos (our nachos), some red wine (Cab Sauv or Cab Franc would be awesome, but beggars can't be choosers right?), some tuna tataki and a yam roll, some beef tenderloin with sauteed mushrooms and garlic mashed potatos. The food I'm not quite so desperate for, cause the food here is fantastic. I'm just a little bit over rice at the moment and if I'm giving my left arm for this stuff, I think I deserve some great food.

I am truly having an awesome time and I don't want to wish my trip away--the end is coming so quickly already!!--but it's been a bit tougher since separating from Kaje and it doesn't help that I've been terribly, violently ill for the last couple days. I switched over to Thai malaria pills (at my doctor's suggestion) and the first one I took made me really sick. So naturally a good bed and a better shower would be much appreciated. I am beginning to feel much better, which is good, because I'm about to go trekking deep into the jungle for the Gibbon Experience. More on that in a few days. If you don't hear from me in a while, I've fallen from a 150 metre-high zipline and impaled myself on a tree. On that note...until next time...

***okay, so this post was actually written a few days ago, but the internet cut out right as I was publishing...so that's the autosave, a few days late. Don't quite achieve the ominous ending I was going for there, now that you know I'm back safely, but ah well, you're getting two blogs for the price of one.

No comments: