Sunday, December 17, 2006

Thank-you, St. Christopher

So it's all over. I'm home. Four days late and with tonsillitis, but I made it in one ragged piece. Our last night in London, we met up with 88 from Portugal and his friends and slept in, almost missing our flight...except that our flight turned out not to exist. Zoom cancelled it and our travel agency neglected to tell us, so we spent two nights in Gatwick airport (three for Kaje) and two extra nights wasting time in London, very dejected and disappointed. I had finally made peace with going home, and missing my time in Victoria and spending extra time in a cripplingly expensive city was a pretty rotten end...to a fantastic trip.

So here it is:

In 102 days, I visited 29 cities/towns in 16 countries.

I slept in 42 beds; on 4 buses, 2 ferries, and 3 trains; in 2 airports and 1 train station; in a treehouse and in a cave.

I got stung by a wasp, bitten by many bedbugs, got food poisoning, and had an eye infection.

I had to beg for money on two separate occasions.

I lit my hair on fire, broke my glasses, lost my bank card, and dropped my camera off a one-storey balcony.

My travel companion got robbed and we were forced to separate for a month.

I got yelled at by a Portugeuse Surf Nazi, a Finnish albino, and an old Portugeuse woman.

I went to prison.

I am now home, unemployed, ill, and massively in debt.

IT WAS SO WORTH IT.


Until next time (i.e. until I can drag myself out of debt and go on my next adventure)...

European Chelsea

No comments: